Ever wonder who’s really running the organization? It’s often not who you think. Just as Dorothy discovered a fastidious, but unknown, man working behind the scenes to create the all-powerful Wizard of Oz, behind every high-powered CEO, there’s an equally powerful Administrative Support Professional–pulling levers, turning switches and making the organization successful.
However, when was the last time you thought of the Administrative Support Professional as a leader? A person rarely does! Administrative Support Professionals are more than just the Personal Assistant who gets the mail, just the Office Clerk who files records or just the Office Assistant who answers the phone. Many times, support staff are expected to handle duties that are not strictly “administrative”.
Administrative support professionals’ duties and responsibilities can include: being an excellent problem solver, demonstrating critical thinking, planning strategically, and exemplifying superlative collaboration and teamwork skills. Wait…Aren’t some of these responsibilities relevant to an HR Director or an Accounting and Finance Director? Support Professionals provide much needed support to high ranking company heads and executives. They often handle huge amounts of sensitive or private personal and corporate information. They are indeed the GATEKEEPERS of an organization and much more!
Here are a few steps to become situated or poised for leadership:
- List your goals. With all of the responsibilities and roles these individuals juggle, being “Poised for Leadership” does not rank at the top of their GOAL list. Individuals can assist in guaranteeing their success by setting personal and professional goals. Goal setting should not feel like a chore or even a punishment. Make the process dynamic and fun. Write down your goals. This Chinese Proverb said it best: “Pale ink is better than faded memory”. Set goals that are S.M.A.R.T – specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely. Revisit your goals periodically—you may need to adjust them or cancel a particular goal.
- Learn how to BRAND yourself! Ask yourself these questions – What is my area of expertise? What makes me and what I do special? Get certified in your area of expertise, this adds values to your brand. Own your accomplishments!
- Business Writing -Get to the Bottom Line – Make sure that your writing skills are professional. When was the last time you honed your “business writing” skills?
- Professional Development –Take some classes, attend a conference or workshop (No money? Try attending online free classes such as Coursera.org)
- Keep up with the latest trends and technology in your area – Become proactive about the latest software and hardware and how it impacts your organization. Share this information with your leaders and other team members.
By following some of these steps, you will have others traveling the “yellow brick road” to the TRUE Wizard of OZ—YOU!
Attend the Administrative Support Professional: Poised for Leadership Workshop April 26 in Atlanta, GA.
Don’t put the “BRAKES” on your career! Come out and hear inspiring and engaging speakers discuss how you can become Poised for Leadership. This is an intensive, one-day workshop that is informational, cutting-edge, interactive and fun-filled. You will walk away with an achievable Road Map for success!
You will learn to:
- Understand the importance of your personal brand
- How to handle with ease the unexpected demand
- Uncover and utilize your influencing/conflict style
Here’s what you get…
- Validated Parking
- After the seminar, you will be able to sign up for a FREE 30 minute coaching session
It’s Going to be a Full House! This is a seminar you do not want to miss! Add this career transforming event to your calendar:
- Date: April 26, 2016
- Time: 8:30 am- 4 pm
- Location: Crowne Plaza Hotel, 1325 Virginia Avenue, Atlanta 30344
Click Here to Register or get more info.
Image courtesy of stockimages at FreeDigitalPhotos.Net