Hebrews 11:33 (GOD’s Word Version)
“Through faith they conquered kingdoms, did what God approved, and received what God had promised.”
Not only are we saved by faith, we must also live by faith. Imitators of Christ (Christians) imitate him. Duh! So what kind of man was Jesus? Jesus was perfect. You would never hear him say: “I’m only human. Nobody’s perfect. God knows my heart.”
Jesus was tempted in all points (just like we are) but he never sinned(Hebrews 4:15). Yes he was fully human, but he fully surrendered to the will of his father—God. He took his Father’s words “Be ye holy, for I am holy” very seriously. (Leviticus 20:25-27)
John 5:19 (New Living Translation)
“So Jesus explained, “I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself. He does only what he sees the Father doing. Whatever the Father does, the Son also does.”
How did Jesus live a holy life and resist temptation? He did it by faith.
- Faith is belief. Jesus believed God the Father loved him. He believed the Holy Spirit was upon him helping him to do the will of God. Jesus believed the Word of God (scripture) and completely aligned his lifestyle to the scriptures by doing those things it required.
- Faith is obedience. Jesus completely fulfilled the requirements in the Torah (the Law) so he could be classified as “spotless and blameless” (a perfect sacrifice for our sins). He was considered an expert teacher, a Master Rabbi whose anointing from the Holy Spirit was confirmed with signs and miracles. He raised the dead, healed the blind, cured the lepers, and much more. That’s why multitudes followed him to hear his teaching. But Jesus didn’t allow power and fame to make him arrogant.
Philippians 2:5-9 (King James Version)
“Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name.”
- Faith is surrender. Jesus surrendered his will (his preferences, his opinions, his desires, his feelings and his agenda) to God. When he knew God wanted him to be crucified on the cross as the perfect sacrifice for our sins Jesus prayed, “Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.” (Luke 22:42) Because Jesus surrendered all, we now have access to salvation by faith. “If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” (Romans 10:9)
Today’s Life Keys:
- Without faith (belief, obedience and surrender), you cannot please God. (Hebrews 11:6)
- But through faith (belief, obedience and surrender), you can conquer kingdoms, do what God approves of and receive what God has promised. (Read Hebrews 11:33-40)