Discover what gives some people the edge in the workforce. Doyou know anyone that is a star performer in your organization…always ready to go to the next level? Have you ever wondered just WHAT is their secret to staying a peak performer?
Look around your workplace and seek those individuals who have those special traits and abilities that make them get noticed. Take a pad and write down the things that you admire about them the most. It may be their “sunny” disposition that they keep when things are rough. Or, it just might be their ability to stay focused during an entire project.
Or maybe, it their posture, their voice, or the way they look at you and focus on every word that you or someone else says. Look at their dress, it may not be GQ or they may not be a fashion plate, but their ability to dress professionally and the combination of these other abilities give these people the edge. They are truly employees that bosses love!
Here are a few of their secrets:
- First, they have goals and they stick with them until completion.
- They have great communication skills.
- They are thinkers. These people listen and generate ideas and suggestions that increase their company’s products or services.
- Star Performers value diversity.
- They are not afraid to say, I don’t understand”. It saves valuable time and energy.
- They are not “town hall” gossipers. If you don’t like something that is said, approach the person in a one-on-one environment. Don’t wait until it boils up inside of you, and “talk behind” someone’s back.
- They are not afraid to admit mistakes.
- They follow codes of ethics set aside for company employees. They are trustworthy and honest.
- Finally, they follow the Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
So, the next time you want to get noticed as a peak or star performer in the workplace, follow these tips. It will certainly give you the edge in the workplace.